My Favorite Quote of the day

All Life is an Experiment. The more you make the better it becomes.................... Ralph Waldo Emerson



Saturday, July 31, 2010

Another AMU student suspended

NEW DELHI: Yet another student has been suspended by the Aligarh Muslim University authorities.

Research student Irfan Khan was suspended on Friday for "misleading, instigating and creating hatred among the students against university and its officials" at a press conference he had organised recently. According to the suspension order, Irfan was asked to "refrain from such unlawful activities and was directed not to disturb the peace and tranquillity of the campus". He was accused of disobeying the authorities and using rude language.

He was also suspended on two prior occasions -- in January this year and November 2009. The university reportedly revoked his previous suspension after he gave an undertaking of good behaviour in future.

"It is highly objectionable that he is repeatedly violating undertakings given," the suspension order stated, adding that he was a habitual offender and had been found guilty of misconduct and indiscipline under the AMU Student Conduct and Discipline Rules, 1985. Till an enquiry into the matter is complete, the campus will be out of bounds for him.

Student's claim

"Students are not allowed to put up any banners or posters. Yet there is a huge banner of a corporate company on the campus welcoming new students. This is why some students including me decided to speak to the media. Things are very autocratic and suppressed here with controls even on the entry of media on the campus," claimed Irfan.

"I received my suspension order the day following the press conference. I was not even given time to vacate my hostel room which has now been sealed. I was suspended for the first time from November 4 to November 30 for participating in a protest demonstration against the university. My second suspension was from January 29 to June 3. I was suspended because I married a girl without her parents' consent. After her father lodged a complaint against me, I was suspended by the university," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment